Fewer and fewer...

 
So, I somehow forgot about Sunday December 7, 1941, and how this past Sunday was the 73rd anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.  To make amends, I have shamelessly poached these photos from one of my top fave sites, The Chive (www.thechive.com).  The Chive was asked if they could help to send some of a group of 12 Pearl Harbor survivors to the ceremonies this year, and in true Chive fashion, they said "Some?  We'll send them all!" The 12 survivors ranged in age from 91 to 102, and as you can see from the photos, they are still going strong!  I especially like the photos of the new generation of soldiers and sailors paying their respects to the veterans.  If you follow the blog, you know I have a special attachment to Pearl Harbor, and I am thrilled to see events like this reminding people today of what true sacrifice means.  The men in these photos were away from home for long periods of time, some of them for nearly 4 years, a commitment that few today understand or would ever make themselves. There is a good reason that they are called "The Greatest Generation".
 
 
 
  



Comments

Popular Posts