McIntyre Bluff


On August 22, 2013, the gang decided to climb McIntyre Bluff, a popular hike in the South Okanagan.  It turned into quite the adventure when we missed the turn on the way down and added about an hour to our return and got separated into 3 groups.  Nonetheless, it all ended well and we had a good story to tell.  Note to self, flares and compass next time!   The photo above is from near the start of the climb.  We ended up skirting that big cliff to the right and climbing up to the ridge on the right.   Did I mention it was 30C that day?
 
 
Cresting the final rise.  It was a nice hour-long hike up to the top, and as you can see the weather was spectacular!  Water is the key, and we had plenty of that.

 
Made it!  Do you like my heart-shaped sweat stain?  That takes real talent!  Gallagher Lake is behind my right arm, and our campsite is underneath the right hand branch on the tree.


The gang on the edge of the bluff, enjoying the well-deserved view down the Okanagan Valley.

 
Son and friend.  Not sure if it is a Usain Bolt thing, or if they were going to throw rocks.


Pensive son.  Thanks for the camelback, Aunt Jo!

 
Hail, Hail, the gang's all here!  What a gorgeous day!

 
Looking north up toward Vaseux Lake.  You can see the shiny new blacktop alongside the old grey highway... they are in the process of four-laning a big stretch of the road.

 
Inuksuks.  There were hundreds of them along the bluff.

 
Sentinels for all that pass.

 
And there goes my last connection with civilization, as my son disappears with the group.  After all the effort to get to the top, I wasn't in a hurry to head back down without savouring the views.

 
After two hours in the 30C temperatures, I understood how this old tree felt... very dry!

 
Rattlesnake Lake.  Luckily, no rattlesnakes.  This was my first clue that I had missed the turn on the trail, as I had not passed the lake on the way up.  It didn't help that every sign I found saying "This way to Rattlesnake Lake" had arrows on all four sides of the sign... pointing in all four directions!  After a half-hour of texting and whistling, we were all back together again!

 
In a word - "SHADE!!!!!"  It was a wonderful hike, one I'd highly recommend if you spend any time in the area.  Take lots of water, and don't forget your camera!

Comments

Popular Posts