Counter Culture


Well, my wife is now officially in Heaven! The long-awaited, much anticipated granite countertops are now in place, and thankfully she loves them as much in person as she did in the anticipation!


*** Note to male home buyers/builders: Women apparently love granite! ***


I will confess that to me, the measure of a good countertop is how well it holds the 37 items I need to make a world-class Dagwood sandwich. I really hope that this countertop will enhance my "sandwich experience" by adding some zing to my mustard or some zap to my mayo... but I am a realist at heart. The real "spice" to my sandwich will be sitting down in my armchair in the media room to eat it.


*** Note to female home buyers/builders: Men love media rooms! ***


I have learned over the past two months that buying/building a new home is far different than buying someone else's home. For one thing, you don't say "I can live with that". Instead,you say "How much to change that?"


You learn interesting things. For example, you learn that despite paying $$$,$$$ for your new house, you still have to buy the towel racks and TP holders for the bathrooms! The logic? "Well, we find those things are real personal choices." You know what? Give me 5 different ones to choose from, and I'm sure I'll find one I like! My wife is stressed out enough about moving that she's not really into doing the rounds of HD, Rona, et al, in order to comparison shop for bathroom fixtures!


Still, if there is one thing this whole process has taught me, it's that you can rationalize any purchase if you amortize it in your mind over 20 years! "Sure, it may cost $,$$$, but that's only $$ a year!"


Hang in there, it's M-Day minus 11!


Adios,


John

Comments

Popular Posts