Alexandra Bridge... 50 years later


After a great lunch and a wonderful couple of hours at Hell's Gate, I persuaded my travelling companions to stop at, and walk the 10 minutes up and down to, the old Alexandra Bridge.  I have fond memories of stopping at the bridge with my family on long-ago vacations.  In 1990, at the foot of the bridge on the west bank, we scattered the ashes of my uncle, who loved to fish here.  The bridge (the second one at this location) was built in 1926 and operated until 1964, when it was replaced by the ugly orange bridge we cross downriver today.  Hard to believe it is nearly 100 years old, and hasn't been driven over (legally!) in 50 years.  Notwithstanding some graffiti, a lot of rust, and some crumbling concrete, it is remarkably solid and still makes for a great 30-minute stop on your drive up the Fraser Canyon.
 












Comments

Popular Posts